Nextbit, Paranoid Android, and Nougat
Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee
‎11-22-2016 10:00 AM
‎11-22-2016 10:00 AM

Any fan of Android knows about the Paranoid Android (PA) team and the innovation they brought to the developer community. I’ve supported PA in the past and appreciate their commitment to stable builds, innovative and intuitive features like Pie navigation controls, all while staying close to stock Android. The team at Nextbit feels the same way about these talented developers, and we were happy to hear early on that they wanted to take Robin and add their flavor to it.

Since then, our team has been working closely with PA, providing kernel source code and system images to help them build and test their custom ROM. They had this to say about working with our team: “It's very refreshing to see an OEM that cares about the community. Some just ship devices to developers, but you guys have been there every step of the way to see how you can help and test our builds.”

Recently, discussions swirled around how we could work more closely together to combine our mutual knowledge of performance, stability, and Nougat. Our team had already begun the port of N to Robin, but we were still facing some hurdles. With the Paranoid team, we began exchanging ideas, code, and resources that helped to get NextbitOS up and running smoothly on Nougat. Likewise, we were able to provide assistance with the bringup of Paranoid Android’s version of N on Robin. Our collaboration has really helped to speed things along and we’re ecstatic to release our N-beta to our eager community of testers.

Our collaboration with Paranoid Android helped to get N up and running on Robin.Our collaboration with Paranoid Android helped to get N up and running on Robin.

Our Chief Technology Officer, Mike Chan, likes what he sees. He said, “They [Paranoid Android] are a talented group of developers and we’re excited to be working with them to make sure Robin runs even better whether you’re running NextbitOS, or Paranoid Android.”

For Robin owners, this means your phone is going to feel faster and perform even better. You’ve got a lot to look forward to! If you want to contribute to the community and test our Nougat build, click HERE. Note: If you have modded your phone in any way, it is NOT recommended that you update your phone.

47 Comments
Nextbit Product Expert Darragh
Nextbit Product Expert

PA+Nextbit OS = Dreams.

Time to install N! Woot woot

TheCrazyLex
Recognized Developer

Thanks to everyone! It is really a great experience to work together with the Nextbit team.

Together we'll deliver you an amazing update to N!

levidestroys
Rebel 2.8

This is awesome! Stoked.

gryph
Rebel 2.8

This is freaking amazing, so glad I went with the Robin for my new phone!

Now if only my beta tester application could be approved Smiley Very Happy

jdugady
Rebel 2.6

Just got the update. It seems that Android Pay doesn't work with beta as it cannot verify the device. Will we have to wait untill offical update for this to work again?

Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee

If you are a beta tester, you have agreed to keep things confidential and within the beta tester group. But yes, Android Pay will be borked until you're on an official build.

Nextbit Product Expert david
Nextbit Product Expert

Really looking forward to see what Nextbit and the amazing PA team have prepared for us! Thanks for your work guys! ^^

D

jasonbereklewis
Rebel 3.2

I got the Nougat update yesterday - and loving it! Heart Heart Heart

omsepulve
Rebel 1.4

This is awesome!Smiley Happy

no
Rebel 2.6

@Khang That's silly. Beta testers should know what they are getting in to. They should know that Android Pay will not work with the beta before they sign up.

Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee

@no They should know that some functionality is broken. After all, it is a BETA. If you don't want to take a risk, don't sign up.

icantremember
Rebel 2.8

Regarding Android Pay and Safetynet, Khang makes a fair point that a beta tester should expect things to be broken, but shouldn't known "brokens" be disclosed *obviously* up front?

Aside from this, OnePlus has a similar beta community program and all their builds pass Safetynet. What do they do differently that Nextbit doesn't (decides not to?) do?

I'm not pretending to know what makes a build Safetynet eligible or not, just saying there's a similar situation out there that handles things differently. Does Nextbit make the conscious decision to make the builds more "beta" to remind testers that they are, in fact, testing?

Razor
Rebel 2.6

i have not got beta update

Egg
Rebel 2.4

Wow! That's great!

jason
Rebel 3.0

@Khang

Minor wording error here that you can forward: 

Want to be a Nextbit Beta Tester?
Thanks for your interest! Due to the overwhelming response from the community, we are unable to respond to all applications.

What now? We'll review your application and will ****get**** in touch if there's a good match.

disisdrsid
Rebel 2.8
I plan to flash a custom ROM in the near future..... Will the Nougat update, when it arrives(I`m not a beta tester), affect that??? Do elaborate what you mean when you say ''If you have modded your phone in any way, it is NOT recommended that you update your phone.''
Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee

@disisdrsid What I mean is that if you've had twrp and/or rooted your device, do not take the update because it can brick your phone, or put it into a bootloop. In the future, when N is stable you might be able to still throw a custom ROM onto it provided that you have the right recovery. 

disisdrsid
Rebel 2.8
Oh, Thanks @Khang!!!
Anish
Rebel 2.6

I signed up twice still waiting for update

joe
Rebel 2.6

I have root in Robin.

can i use nougat test? thanh you.

Harish
Rebel 2.8

i signed up thrice and still waiting for an update.., omg i love Nougat for Robin.

please tell us when ll the update be available in India ??

ANI14
Rebel 2.8

Had my Robin updated yesterday, loving the update till now. 

PengOldDog
Rebel 1.4

After sign up to beta tester.... how do i know i can upgrade to N.... ,

a2dfunjabi
Rebel 2.8

Hi @Khang 

It's good to hear about update news. Want to know is Battery Saving Patch is included in this update and what will be the tentative date for final build of Android N.

sree_ayinam
Rebel 3.0

Cause PA is in association, hope we can get gesture control and theme support from PA..

Thank you

Iloverobin
Rebel 2.8

@Khang cant wait for the update in india , any news for the indian users ?

ANI14
Rebel 2.8

@Iloverobin if you mean that whether the beta Nougat update is available in India or not, I would like to say that it is available, and I am running it. 

warawat
Rebel 2.4

This is awesome

Thehatchett
Rebel 2.8

I still haven't received the update in the US. Probably bogged down going through all the submissions. Anyone have a SOT sample? Hoping for much better battery life. 

Shiv756
Rebel 2.8

Been using from the last 3 days so far so good Smiley Happy but couldn't find any threads regarding bug reports on beta release 

Shiv756
Rebel 2.8

@Iloverobin@ we have got update in India mate

All you need to do is check for an update after you got the confirmation from the team via Google groups 

@hang is there any thread for bug reports or something?? 

Rb
Rebel 3.0

Will we get assistant on Android 7 public update

Ticallion
Rebel 3.0

@TheCrazyLex we the rebels appreciate the assist hopefully its a collab that'll happen again

Iloverobin
Rebel 2.8

@Shiv756 bro still waiting for the update...and getting jealous hahahahah

chronoswing
Rebel 2.8

@Khang That is not totally true, as long as you flash back to stock recovery and stock rom you can upgrade to the nougat beta without problems, but I understand why you would say that. As long as you do not try to update while rooted or having a non stock recovery you should have no issues. You can have had them before just need to make sure you flash everything back to stock before going through with this nougat beta update. 

jaxwithanx
Rebel 1.0

Ridiculous. Filled out form a week ago and just now got denial email, assuming it's because I replied I already rooted.  Best part is I rooted a few weeks ago....to install PA's superior rom.  Pretty rich.  I guess having someone who has been flashing roms and willing to bug test for 8+ years wouldn't be very beneficial.  But I guess you can't expect much from anyone who thinks users can't update to this Nougat build because of previous mods and that a simple revert back to stock first wouldn't correct those problems.

Like anyone that would be willing to bug test a beta Nougat HASN'T already rooted and been playing with their phone already....lol

tolisbk
Rebel 2.8

I have signed-up for the beta some months ago. For how long should I wait for this one?

Nextbit Product Expert

Hi @jaxwithanx, if I'm not wrong, beta group is closed right now. I'll ask and come back with right info about this, but that could be the reason why they denied you the beta rank. I answered I had rooted and installed custom roms and well, they accepted me. Nextbit loves customization and custom ROMs, so don't worry, it's not because of that.

Thanks,

D

iancassell
Rebel 2.6

Just got approved for Beta testing. Looking forward to giving PA/Nextbit Nougat a spin...  No download available yet.   

Nextbit Product Expert

I was wrong then @jaxwithanx. Anyway, nexbit has the right to deny access to the beta group to anyone. If I were you I'd just try to re-apply to be a beta tester, in case you still want to test new software.

D

Ravinavya_2010
Rebel 1.2

Kudos Team finally nougat  its really every exciting. No issue if this is beta no need for stable version. Kudos Team

Egg
Rebel 2.4

I can't wait!

Earlf
Rebel 2.8

Is there any estimate for the release of Nougat for all Nextbit Robin owners?

MKonchar
Rebel 1.8

I would like to know the answer to Earlf's question as well. I just got my Robin and while I love it I switched from a Nexus 5X and I'm already missing some Nougat features that I got used to but I prefer to stay stock.

SarvRajSingh
Rebel 1.2

if i unroot my device again will the Beta Nougat update be successful ?, or it will brick my device & put it  into bootloop ?

Ohad129
Rebel 3.0
Does this beta got hebrew not only as keyboard ? I mean manus ,interface ?
thecarguy
Rebel 3.0
I just applied. I cannot wait. This looks awesome.