What we're reading: Dark Matter
Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee
‎08-25-2016 04:26 PM
‎08-25-2016 04:26 PM

IMG_20160825_162728152-01.jpeg

Our book club has grown from a few members to seven now and we're blowing by the books we've chosen. This time, Dark Matter is up, and we're really excited for it. 

SYNOPSIS:

“Are you happy with your life?” Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious. Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits. Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.” In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable--something impossible. Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.

Buy Dark Matter and read with us!! Or, instead, what books are you reading? We'll add it to our growing list of good reads, and give our review!

1 Comment
Nextbit Product Expert Paradox
Nextbit Product Expert

Thank you for this awesome share! I have put it on my good read's to-read list and it sounds exciting Smiley Very Happy 

I recently (okay, not really that recent-recently Smiley Tongue) finished the Nightside series (ends at 12 books) by Simon Green which I thought was dark, gritty and loads of fun. I liked the characters (in a dark morbid fun kind of way, I mean who would name a character Razor Eddie, Punk God of the Straight Razor? Smiley Very Happy), the world building was solid, unique and most importantly the writing flowed well and with each book, it just makes you want to know more about what John's gonna do next. I actually finished all 12 books really quickly (i had panda eyes for that duration).

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/somethingfrom.htm

Take a hard-boiled detective novel and a very dark urban fantasy novel, and bang their heads together, really hard. This book is what you get.

John Taylor grew up in an eerie dimension full of things that go bump in the night. Tired of the constant struggle for survival there, he emigrated to the ordinary world, where he has since struggled to make an ordinary living as a detective. His talent for finding lost things keeps him just this side of eviction. But when a new client walks into his office with a missing-person case he can't resist, John finds himself headed back where he swore he'd never return: the Nightside.

This book stands out from the usual slew of urban fantasy by virtue of grit and originality. The humor ranges from dry to downright morbid, but always hits the mark. The characters are fascinating, from John with his uncanny knack for finding what doesn't want to be found, to supporting cast like Razor Eddie and the Collector. Love 'em or hate 'em, they will absolutely stick in your mind. So will the Nightside itself, a bleak but compelling world of its own that draws from the seamier parts of our own. A bar that's sometimes there and sometimes not, Timeslips that can drop you into the present or the past, a house that eats people, that sort of thing.

Something from the Nightside holds the greatest appeal for fans of urban fantasy and dark fantasy, but is well worth a look if you enjoy detective stories. It's just the thing for reminding you that your own life could suck a whole lot more than it does. Though it stands well by itself, there are hints of unresolved questions that could easily lead to a series -- and I'd love to see where they go.

This is the entire list of books in the series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/40946-nightside