What we're reading: The Girl on the Train
Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee
‎07-29-2016 04:27 PM
‎07-29-2016 04:27 PM

Since some of us can't afford to live in the city, we commute from all parts of the Bay Area to Nextbit HQ in San Francisco. To pass the hour-long (and then some) travel time, we're either on our phone or we've got our noses buried in a book. For those of us who ride the BART every day, we started a book club! We had a few choices, but ended up selecting The Girl on the Train

The synopsis:

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

• The #1 New York Times Bestseller, USA Today Book of the Year, soon to be a major motion picture. 
  • The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.
  • “Nothing is more addicting than The Girl on the Train.”—Vanity Fair
  • The Girl on the Train has more fun with unreliable narration than any chiller since Gone Girl. . . . [It] is liable to draw a large, bedazzled readership.”—The New York Times
  • “Marries movie noir with novelistic trickery. . . hang on tight. You'll be surprised by what horrors lurk around the bend.”—USA Today
  • “Like its train, the story blasts through the stagnation of these lives in suburban London and the reader cannot help but turn pages.”—The Boston Globe
  • Gone Girl fans will devour this psychological thriller.”—People 

Join our book club! If you're interested, pick up a copy and let us know. Or, instead, what books are you reading this summer (or winter if you're in the lower hemisphere)? We'll add it to our growing list of good reads, and give our review!

3 Comments
Nextbit Product Expert Paradox
Nextbit Product Expert

I love reading! Occasionally if i find a book good enough, i re read the books over if i run out of stuff to read. If you are into the fantasy sphere, i'd recommend David and Leigh Eddings' works. Less dark and heavy than Game of Thrones and more colourful (in a good way!) than Lord of the Rings (those pages of descriptions! Man LOL). The Belgariad is one of their first works, followed by the Malloreon series.

Summary:

Millions of readers have discovered the magic of David Eddings’ NewYork Times bestselling series The Belgariad. Now the first three books in this monumental epic appear in a single volume. Here, long-time fans can rediscover the wonder—and the uninitiated can embark upon a thrilling new journey of fantasy and adventure.

It all begins with the theft of the Orb that for so long protected the West from an evil god. As long as the Orb was at Riva, the prophecy went, its people would be safe from this corrupting power. Garion, a simple farm boy, is familiar with the legend of the Orb, but skeptical in matters of magic. Until, through a twist of fate, he learns not only that the story of the Orb is true, but that he must set out on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger to help recover it. For Garion is a child of destiny, and fate itself is leading him far from his home, sweeping him irrevocably toward a distant tower—and a cataclysmic confrontation with a master of the darkest magic.

Additonal reviews:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40739-the-belgariad

My thoughts:

I love the way the Eddings brought life to the characters and their world building is solid without being overly boring. The characters are easy to love and somehow i was able to find compassion, love, laugh and cry with the characters. While the plot is common enough (journey together for a quest), it's beautifully written Smiley Happy

Nextbit Employee Khang
Nextbit Employee

@Paradox - Thanks for the recommendation!! Have you ever read the Xanth series by Peirs Anthony? They are really good...a very light-hearted, punny series...I think he's written over a couple dozen books! The first one is A Spell for Chameleon

Nextbit Product Expert Paradox
Nextbit Product Expert

@Khang Yes! I loved that series! The puns are just so awesome! I heard that in the beginning Piers Anthony got the public to write in to him with all the puns (one can only be so punny for so long). He would feature the good ones in his book. But that stopped as he mentioned that he was buried in letters with puns Man LOL

My favourite characters would be Dor and Irene, they are just too funny. Smiley Very Happy I loved Centaur Aisle, Night Mare, Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn and Yon Ill Wind most with the last two had me tearing in parts. I stopped after Zombie Lover though (I thought it was one of the weaker books). 

Thanks for reminding me of Piers Anthony! Seems like it is time to pick his books up again (and get myself that new book cabinet i so need Smiley Tongue).