100 gig storage after next February?

Rebel 2.8

Re: 100 gig storage after next February?

Thanks for the clarification, David. It's good to know that's what the intent always was. Now I understand the real world, and am a big proponent of caveat emptor, but the marketing and the public website conveniently left out that 2 year support commitment. Either that or it was buried deep enough to remain hidden. Those who jumped in on the Amazon fire sale (I bought two.) may not have had the rich history of the Kickstarter promises, so please allow for a little bit of grumbling. No biggie.

I still admire the design and the ambition. The phone is still a great value at the price I paid. Lack of OTG, microUSB slot, and, after February 2018 any auto-syncing cloud solution does kind of strand folks a bit. But you're not the first company to be bought out and product life shortened. Not the first to stop providing updates after a certain date. And you won't be the last. I'm glad the team has a new challenge and a soft landing. We're just a bit disappointed in what it means for us, speaking for the community if I may be so bold.

Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

@Tftdguru I allow you to do anything you want of course, I'm not here to ban lol
Thanks for your feedback, I (and sure the team also) appreciate some mature opinions like this instead of just throwing rubbish at latest news.

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]

put lineage 14.1 or RR on it will be like a new phone

aaharvey0706 wrote:

I guess next Febuary is when I'll be getting maybe the One Plus 3 or 4 then. Lol

Rebel 3.0

lowwhistler wrote:

The whole premise of the 32Gb storage, was the cloud option. If that goes away, that renders the purchase of the phone useless. I am really angry about this "take the money and disappear" act, again a recent purchaser who wanted to support a small company gets screwed.

it's called capitalism. it happens every day. yea i'm not happy cuz the cloud storage concept was cool but oh well.

Rebel 3.0

MasterSushi wrote:

I am considering buying a Nextbit from Amazon knowing full well about the reduced warranty and end of life in February 2018. It would seem that finding a way to update the software so users could sync to their own cloud service could add a lot of life to this product. Is this something being considered?

it's dropbox/google drive. 

Rebel 3.2

Khang wrote:

radkarthik wrote:

Khang,

I purchased the phone last month. So, I expect the warranty to be valid until 12 months from the date of purchase.

This is what Nextbit's Warranty literature says - 

---------------

The limited warranty for the smartphone extends for twelve (12) months beginning on the date of the original purchase of the smartphone. The limited warranty for the accessories extends for twelve (12) months beginning on the date of the original purchase for accessories sold separately or included in the sale of the smartphone excluding cases and screen protectors; and thirty (30) days beginning on the date of the original purchase for all cases and screen protectors, unless otherwise specified in the Product user guide.

-----------------

I understand that, and will bring this up with management to see if we can reevaluate our decision on the warranty.

At the very least, Nextbit should refund the purchase price for a phone they are unable to repair a phone.  I'm no lawyer, but I would assume that a warranty is a legally binding contract and Nexbit may open themselves to a class action suit if they start outright denying claims before the year is up.

Rebel 3.2

I found some relavent legal language (emphasis added)

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

§2304. Federal minimum standards for warranties

(a) Remedies under written warranty; duration of implied warranty; exclusion or limitation on consequential damages for breach of written or implied warranty; election of refund or replacement

In order for a warrantor warranting a consumer product by means of a written warranty to meet the Federal minimum standards for warranty—

(1) such warrantor must as a minimum remedy such consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written warranty;

(2) notwithstanding section 2308(b) of this title, such warrantor may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;

(3) such warrantor may not exclude or limit consequential damages for breach of any written or implied warranty on such product, unless such exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and

(4) if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to remedy defects or malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund for, or replacement without charge of, such product or part (as the case may be). The Commission may by rule specify for purposes of this paragraph, what constitutes a reasonable number of attempts to remedy particular kinds of defects or malfunctions under different circumstances. If the warrantor replaces a component part of a consumer product, such replacement shall include installing the part in the product without charge.

§2308. Implied warranties

(a) Restrictions on disclaimers or modifications

No supplier may disclaim or modify (except as provided in subsection (b)) any implied warranty to a consumer with respect to such consumer product if (1) such supplier makes any written warranty to the consumer with respect to such consumer Product, or (2) at the time of sale, or within 90 days thereafter, such supplier enters into a service contract with the consumer which applies to such consumer product.

(b) Limitation on duration

For purposes of this chapter (other than section 2304(a)(2) of this title), implied warranties may be limited in duration to the duration of a written warranty of reasonable duration, if such limitation is conscionable and is set forth in clear and unmistakable language and prominently displayed on the face of the warranty.

(c) Effectiveness of disclaimers, modifications, or limitations

A disclaimer, modification, or limitation made in violation of this section shall be ineffective for purposes of this chapter and State law.

Rebel 2.8

Would love to see some hackmasters out there take on the challenge of replacing/modding the auto-sync archive/swap feature of the Robin with "cloud-of-choice" salvation.

Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]

Everyone is looking at this merger in the wrong light. 

Nextbit can either go away completely or they can merge with a bigger company and provide us with better/newer hardware and software. 

The only reason people are even caring about warranty ending and what not is because they don't have any other phone to go to. 

Most phones stop being supported after 2 years and no one bats an eye because the company has introduced 3 new devices in that time frame. They are being pretty clear on their plans, and if you don't like it, no one is stopping you from buying a different phone. 

They already have been working on a web client so everyone can access their images online. Some of us beta testers have access already. I am sure it will be available for everyone before Feb 2018. You also should probably not rely on one method of back up. That is just ridiculous. Setup Google Photos to back up everything as a secondary. I have done that since day one with the Robin.  Yes I understand after 15GB google is no longer free, but there are other options too. 

And just so people know, threatening to buy another phone is not going to make it any better. Let them do what they need to do to stay alive and give them support in their endevors and they will probably bring us something really cool again in the future. 

Rebel 3.0

Yeah. Why the whole stink about the 100GB. Do people actually upload that much photos to the cloud? If so, so much that its the primary source of storage and if it fails?

I can understand that it was a selling point. But the support the company plans to offer until 2018 is something that I'm sure people will get a new phone.