Finger Print Scanner:Need to press and hold power butto unlock the device. Also cant lock the phone.

SOLVED
Rebel 3.0

Re: Finger Print Scanner:Need to press and hold power butto unlock the device. Also cant lock the ph

Well you seem to have two questions if i understood you right 

1. Why you need to press the power button to use the fingerprint scanner to unlock 

2. Why do you have to have to set up a different type of lock method (PIN,pattern, Password etc.)

The Answers 

1. The unique thing about Robin is that the fingerprint sensor is placed on the power button. Imagine having it on the back of the phone you would have had to first press the power button then keep your finger on the fingerprint scanner, so on the Robin this happens simultaneously as you press the power button the device wakes up, detects your finger and unlocks it hardly takes a second just your finger on the button for half a second and it unlocks and as mentioned before if the scanner was active all the time it would have caused battery drain issues and accidental unlocks. 

2. Yes it's mandatory to set a different lock method (PIN, password, Pattern etc.) It's a Android core security feature this acts as a backup if the fingerprint fails or helps in situations where your fingerprint can't be used. For example if you cut your finger by accident you wouldn't be able to unlock your phone, isn't that painful?. So summing it up you have to set up a alternate lock other than the fingerprint lock, It's a Android feature and it's not exclusive to the Robin.

I hope i answered your questions properly, feel free to ask something else as well

Proud rebel of India with his spanking new ember.
Rebel 3.0

Re: Finger Print Scanner:Need to press and hold power butto unlock the device. Also cant lock the ph

For my Nexus 5x & 6p I only need to touch the FP sensor on the back to wake & unlock.

The power button is on the side & only used for turning off & on

Rebel 2.8

[ Edited ]

Hi That_Indian_Gee

Thank you so much for taking time to help me. I understand the reason behind the need to press the power button and use finger print at the same time to unlock ( to save baterry ) .

What I dont get, is that even when finger print is working the mobile asking for a PIN. I raise this doubt based on the following review by Android authority in Youtube . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZH6I83qvk In the review i can see the guy mentioning at 5.58 seconds that when you press button and use finger print the phone wakes up without the need for any additional input .This is not how it works in my phone. After pressing the power button and keeping the finger for scanner to read , the mobile does not wake up straightaway but still asks for a PIN. What settings I am missing here.? Please assist

Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]
Go to settings and security, you can opt out to use a pin/pattern after fingerprint scan.

However, everytime you restart your phone even if you use your fingerprint you're still required to put your pin/pattern.

Please check my screen shot. Just choose no, thanks on the option so it wouldn't ask anymore..

Hope this helps!
Rebel 2.8

How are you locking the screen? If you're not using the power button (instead locking with a Nova gesture for example) then that's the reason; locking the screen in any way that's not pressing the power button makes Android re-asks for the pin.
You can bypass this using root.
Rebel 3.0

other than first start, is there any way to sleep & wake the phone by not using the physical start button in order to save the wear & tear on the button?

with or without root options are welcomed

Rebel 2.8

[ Edited ]

Hi Quattro, Thanks for post. The problem was due to the Screen Off and Lock App I was using as mentioned in  Datgrey post. Now its working. Thanks

Rebel 2.8

Datgrey.. Thanks so much for identifying the issue. I am using the Screen Off app to reduce the power button usage . If I dont use that app then fingerprint works - Although I should say i still wish i have the option to use finger print by just placing the finger rather than pressing the power button as I am little paranoid about physical button getting damaged quickly..  Thanks again for the help.. 

Rebel 2.8

Hi Ruggles , I use the Screen Off and Lock App by Katecca from play store to make the device sleep. So 50% wear and tear saved by using this app. I have been using this app for more than a year and I found it to be 100% ok.  

Rebel 3.0

Yes but using screen off apps would need pin to unlock every time