Hey ;3 Ive got some questions about the phone before I buy it.

Rebel 1.0

Hey ;3 Ive got some questions about the phone before I buy it.

I recently discovered about the Nextbit phones. They looked very sleek, very customizable and affordable. At the moment I have a iPhone 6 (16GB) and wanting to replace it with an android phone. I have some questions about the phone:

Is it durable? - After seeing "Nextbit Robin Bend Test FAIL" it seems it is a weak phone or is it just a strong person breaking a average phone.

What is the battery like? - I use Social Media alot and on my iPhone 6 its on about 20 percent by the end of the day. I also have a Pebble Time, Meaning I have to have bluetooth on all the time. Is the charging fast? How long does the battery last?

If I break the screen what is the out-of-warranty costs? - If something does happen and I break my screen how much will it cost to repair it (In the UK)

Is the camera better than an iPhone 6 camera? - Just wondering :3

Android Pay and root - I rooted my Nvidia Shield tablet. I then installed android pay today to see what it is like, Then when I tried to add a card it said "Android Pay can't be used on this device" will this be different on the nextbit.

Nextbit and Razer? - I dont want to buy the Nextbit then 3 days later a better version comes out. Is there any confirmed plans about a new phone coming out?

How loud are the speakers? - I normally show my friends videos but it always annoys me when they cant hear it because the speaker is too quiet.

Recommend any good cases? - (UK links only please :3)

Thanks for reading :3

5 REPLIES
Rebel 3.0

Re: Hey ;3 Ive got some questions about the phone before I buy it.

I mean if you root your device android pay does not work. Switching devices won't change that. Battery life is probably worse honestly, the snapdragon 808 is not much of a sipper and you'll the device does not idle well. I get 4-5 hours of screen time with nearly minimum brightness. I will say the screen is significantly higher resolution and it's definitely noticeable. If you've got a shield tablet than I don't think the experience will be too jarring. Battery life is definitely a common complaint with this device though. The camera I have heard mixed things about. I will say it it's not terrible but it's not consistent. Camera quality has been improving but I wouldn't say it's top tier yet. The camera app is quite nice though. As for durability, I can't speak to that. The plastic in use is definitely not the kind to bend well but I rarely see the device stressed like that. Overall I think it's certainly a device worth trying. I doubt a real successor will come along soon. Also, you should be very aware of what price you are getting. Above $300USD and better android options become very blatant.
Rebel 3.0

Is it durable? - Honestly, it's just about as durable as any other phone. I have mine in my pocket for at least 16 hours out of the day, and haven't noticed any bends or misshapen-ness to the device (and have had mine since July.

What is the battery like? Is the charging fast? How long does the battery last? - Battery is...something, especially on Marshmallow. You stated that you utilize Bluetooth for your Pebble, so I guarantee that your phone will need to be charged probably twice a day. I have to plug mine in at night (and leave it plugged in overnight), and midway through the day, and I don't even use any high intensive apps or processes on the device for more than 30 minutes without force closing out of it to conserve battery life.

Charging isn't too shabby. Honestly, I'd be a miserable man if I didn't have my Fast Charger device I purchased directly through the Nextbit store. Without, expect lengthy charge periods, albeit it being a USB-C device.

If I break the screen what is the out-of-warranty costs? - Fun Fact: It's a nightmare for any Robin user to get anything fixed (without being told to just replace the phone...), and you'll have the most difficulty time finding retailers capable of replacing/fixing damaged parts. Even better Fun Fact! The warranty for Nextbit Robin owners will be honored until the end of the year, and after that: YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN. Smiley Happy So...if you do get one, ensure that it doesn't so much as even think about going near the ground or an unsuspecting toilet bowl.

Is the camera better than an iPhone 6 camera? - Lol. Absolutely not. It is capable of producing some gorgeous photos, but, irritatingly enough, it still has a medley of issues that cannot be found with iOS devices. I constantly find myself having to retake photos, as the first few will be blurry beyond visibility.

Android Pay and root - Simply put, Android Pay does not function will modded/rooted devices. Currently, I'm running Nougat on mine (official Beta build), and I do not have the means of utilizing the app. It's just Google's way of working.

Nextbit and Razer? - I guess we'll find out later in the year after the acquisition is more explained (although it's likely we'll get very little information for us Robin seniors).

How loud are the speakers? - The front-facing speakers are a miracle for those of us who like playing our music loud throughout our homes. I mean, don't expect to hear it in a loud, public setting (or with a vacuum running), but they're much better than speakers on competitor's devices.

Recommend any good cases? - I'd check eBay. I found my wonderful case at Wal-Mart for about $10, but I have no idea what the shipping possibilities are for purchasing internationally. That's something I cannot confirm, or speak about.

Proud owner of an Ember - Nougat Beta Tester (Currently running Update 3)
Rebel 3.0

For me, I charge thrice a day ..My phone is always On with Wi-fi ..15hrs a day max in WiFi .

And video watch, listening to Audiosongs fir 1.5 hrs ..Browsing mails, watssap Internet (additional)

So need to charge thrice 

Rebel 3.0

ROBVEN wrote:

For me, I charge thrice a day ..My phone is always On with Wi-fi ..15hrs a day max in WiFi .

And video watch, listening to Audiosongs fir 1.5 hrs ..Browsing mails, watssap Internet (additional)

So need to charge thrice 

Geez! That's pretty bad...

I'm on 4G LTE for at least 12 hours of the day, and then Wi-Fi for the remainder of the day (since I work an hour and a half from where I live, and commute via train, so I'm constantly on my phone). 

My battery burners are Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links, Pokémon Go, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Bandcamp (and sometimes Spotify). But even with 5+ hours of listening to music, and about an hour for app games, I don't run into that severe of a battery life issue. =/ 

Proud owner of an Ember - Nougat Beta Tester (Currently running Update 3)
Rebel 3.0

In a very brief,

If you want to compare Robin with your iPhone 6, I owned both of these devices.

Battery life: The iPhone 6 is better. You should have a battery bank if you use your Robin as a daily driver. I took my phone on 100% battery at 8AM. After a moderate usage of browsing, checking emails, WhatsApp, Faceboo, I got almost 20% battery life at 12 PM. I need to charge it three times a day, at least (This is under moderate usage and minimum brightness). However, If you use the quick charger, the situation is way better, because it is a true quick charger. 

Camera: Nextbit Robin back camera is terrible compared to the iPhone 6. The rate of blurred photos is very high. Expect good photos under day light and miserable photos under low light. I also hate the Gallery app of Robin. The front-facing camera is comparable to the one on iPhone 6 , but still not better. 

Build quality: For me, unfortunately, I had the paint chipping issue for the three Robin phones I purchased. The last one is still waiting for replacement. Othe than that, it is good. Don't bother about the bending test, it won't get bent.

Speakers: Amazing and great.. Better than the iPhone 6.. Very loud and stereo.

Warranty and support: Don't expect much. By the end of July, there won't be any hardware warranty, and you are gonna get the software support till next year. Nextbit replacement and repair process was not good recently. I have been waiting for weeks and no replacement yet. The company internal situation isn't stable after the acquisition. Don't expect any new phone.  It is impossible for a company to release a successor while they are ditching the current phone simultaneously. 

Design: Great and magnificent. Everyone will ask you what kind of amazing phone is this! Holding Robin will absolutely make you very unique. 

Software: The phone is expected to get Nougat soon. 

All in all, it is a good deal for that affordable price $150