How is the Nextbit Cloud financed?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rebel 2.8

How is the Nextbit Cloud financed?

Hi all,

Since I bought a Robin something has been bugging me. As you are all probably aware nothing is free ... The trick is to understand how you are paying for it when there is no explicit charge. So, I have 100GB of cloud storage available to me and I am not being charged directly for this. It stores applications and files that the Robin has sent there and I would prefer to know how I am paying for this.

Nextbit does not have loads of advertising all over this site or on the phone, and I am not convinced that me paying the on-line price once for a Robin will pay for this storage.

It's just a question, and I am sure the guys at Nextbit have this worked  out ...

All the best

David 

7 REPLIES
Rebel 3.2

Re: How is the Nextbit Cloud financed?

This is completely a guess but I am guessing between the kickstarter campaign and a certain percentage of device profits it is being funded.  There also might be some behind the doors funding we don't know about.  

Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

Hey David,

Nextbit uses AWS (Amazon Web Services) as cloud storage. Here you can see the pricing of this service: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
As you see, the most expensive plan has a price/month/GB of $0.03 (I don't know if that's what Nextbit pays as a company), what makes every Robin (100GB), abot $3 per month, $36 per year.
Apart from what you paid for your Robin, Nextbit got investments from groups like Google Ventures, what gives them a good base to be able to pay all that cloud storage.

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Rebel 2.6

What about after Feb 2018? Will I still be able to use the cloud storage even though they are with razer? I know they will still be a seperate company and though they disconinuted the device itself will i still be abel to use it to the fullest after feb 18?

Nextbit Employee Nextbit Employee

mcrews wrote:

What about after Feb 2018? Will I still be able to use the cloud storage even though they are with razer? I know they will still be a seperate company and though they disconinuted the device itself will i still be abel to use it to the fullest after feb 18?

As mentioned in other threads, we're planning on having a solution in place to download your archived content. But right now, we're evaluating how to manage the cloud post-Feb.

#NextNow
Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]
You guys should offer a lower tier storage size and charge a monthly plan for the user. If the storage is really $3 bucks a month for 100GB, and the user really is in need of the 100GB, then maybe $5 bucks a month?

It can be cross platform and a unique service to those who wish to keep the phone and also have access to the stored content via website.

And lower tier size plans can be free up to a certain size and charge less per cap. I personally never saw how 100 GB was to be used by each user. Hell, I would of been good with 32GB of cloud storage to allocate the cost to other users.
Sort of a virtual SD card.
Rebel 3.0

Any possibility of open sourcing it and/or letting users utilize their own cloud storage (like OwnCloud)?
Rebel 3.2

david wrote:
Hey David,

Nextbit uses AWS (Amazon Web Services) as cloud storage. Here you can see the pricing of this service: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
As you see, the most expensive plan has a price/month/GB of $0.03 (I don't know if that's what Nextbit pays as a company), what makes every Robin (100GB), abot $3 per month, $36 per year.
Apart from what you paid for your Robin, Nextbit got investments from groups like Google Ventures, what gives them a good base to be able to pay all that cloud storage.

D

Keep in mind that the above math assumes everyone with the phone uses ALL 100GB. If all users average out to 50GB, then its only $18 / year at that rate. Personally, I have the feature turned off, so I am helping to bring down the average; and I am sure that even those that use the feature arn't maxed out.