NFC and Android Pay

Rebel 3.2

NFC and Android Pay

Has anyone used NFC/Android Pay successfully on the Robin? I know it works because I used Android Beam to transfer information from my old phone when I first got it. However, I was at the local gas station yesterday and had NFC on, and was swiping it back and forth, tapping it, etc., until I finally gave up and used my credit card. If so, where exactly is the sensor? I didn't really use the middle of the phone, so maybe I need to do that.

18 REPLIES
Rebel 3.2

Re: NFC and Android Pay

I've used it a couple of times at McDonald's and Whole Foods.

I didn't have to do place the phone any differently than with other phones. I just put the middle of the phone on the sensor and it worked.

Rebel 3.2

Could be the gas stations nfc terminal. But the nfc senors is never constant with Android phones.. every OEM puts it in a different area. but robin should be pretty much in the center-ish

Rebel 3.2

[ Edited ]

Good to know, I'll give it a try next time and let you know how it goes. I want to start using it more often, because it really is one of the most secure ways to make a payment - a lot more secure than credit cards (even chip cards).

You'd think OEMs would put the sensor near the top of the phone so you can truly "tap" it naturally. Thanks, guys.

Rebel 3.2

CrankyBear wrote:

Good to know, I'll give it a try next time and let you know how it goes. I want to start using it more often, because it really is one of the most secure ways to make a payment - a lot more secure than credit cards (even chip cards).

I like AndroidPay a lot. Too bad that not too many places around me support it. Other than Whole Foods and McDonald's, the only other place near me that does is Petsmart.

Rebel 2.8

I've had the same problem as you @CrankyBear

I have tried to use Android Pay at Trader Joe's and Walgreens in SF at several locations and the POS terminals never seem to detect anything from my phone. I tried unlocking it, no success. Then tried opening the Android Pay app and still nothing despite repositioning my phone and moving it around.

@Khang any advice on making Android Pay work on Robin? Could it be (probably not but ..) caused by having a custom launcher installed? I run Nova. But Android Pay should have still worked when I opened the app up.

Rebel 3.2

I used it twice this weekend at Best Buy without any issues. I have the stock launcher.

Rebel 3.0

I think certain POS terminals have issues with Android pay/Robin in particular, such as those terminals in Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Rite Aid: i.e., those big swipe terminals with no obvious area for the tap and pay - here's a link to the type of POS system that I'm referring to: http://terrywhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/wpid14014-IMG_3663_sm.jpg).

My personal experience with the above terminals is that tapping my Robin on the terminal brings up Android Pay and the default card, but payment does not go through; instead an error message pops up saying something along the lines of "try tapping the device on the terminal again".

I've had more success with Robin and Android Pay on terminals with more obvious tap to pay/contactless pay areas (i.e., designated areas/bays on which to tap your phone, such as those nfc terminals by Square, or terminals with big NFC areas/pads on which to place your phone).

Now re those Rite Aid et al payment terminals mentioned in the first paragraph: I could very well just be "Doing It Wrong", but perhaps the nfc chip on the Robin is just deep enough within the phone's casing, that the device isn't able to commucate with the receiver on those integrated payment terminals referred to in the first paragraph?

It would help to know where on the Robin the nfc chip is precisely (people have mentioned it's probably in the middle of the phone, but would be nice to the placement confirmed), and also where the **bleep** nfc receiver is on those integrated payment terminals on those referred to in the first paragraph...

Rebel 2.8

I use NFC payments almost daily at the vending machine here at work. And because of the way I'm holding the phone, and the design of the machine, I never actually touch the phone to the vending machine; there's always about a 1/4" gap. I leave the phone there for a moment and I get the beep. Are you making sure to leave the phone in place long enough for the process to work? I know it says "tap to pay", but it takes a moment to process. It's more like "place here to pay". 

Rebel 3.0

Hey @ADVDucky -  I do hold it there for a while and have tried several times at those terminals I mentioned in my post - whilst I'm fine with certain terminals, it's the ones that you find in Rite Aid and others (with no dedicated tap to pay bay - just the monitor that says you can use your Android/Apple Pay) that cause the error message to pop up saying that I need to try again (and I try again and again...until I get too embarrassed with the waiting line behind me to keep trying! Smiley Happy )

Below is the type of terminal I have a specific issue with - perhaps I'll do a separate post about this as it's really just this type of terminal that doesn't seem to work and I'm wondering if others have this issue:

pos tap to pay.jpg