Nexus 5X vs Nextbit Robin

Rebel on the Rise Rebel on the Rise

Re: Nexus 5X vs Nextbit Robin

IMO, the ice blue looks kinda toyish. You could also just slap a dbrand skin on it...
Join the force! ->https://programs.nextbit.com/

Dancing cat approves!
Rebel 3.2

Chacko1 wrote:
IMO, the ice blue looks kinda toyish. You could also just slap a dbrand skin on it...

*cough* nextbit mint *cough*

I think it looks real pretty, and dbrands never work out well for me anyway, especially on a device with curved corners

Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

@Chacko1

As with the other short review. I will break it down to the three parts (those being Hardware, Software, and Features) used when describing the OnePlus 2. (for the Nexus 5X though)

Hardware: As for the hardware, it actually reminded me mostly of my HTC One X if anything. The back (like the One X) is polycarbonate, soft touch plastic. There really are not very many curves, so honestly if this phone were a beautiful woman she would have smooth skin as if she were to moisturize her skin with cocoa butter day in and day out, but she would be a little bit flat chested. (Which is completely fine! I don't judge!) Back to the topic though, the outer design of the phone is quite pleasing though it may feel cheap to some. Under the hood though, that is where the powerful beast that is the Snapdragon 808 lies, ready to fly through daily tasks at immense speeds; only stopped by the 2 GB of RAM which some hate, and some don't mind. Either way, from my experience, the phone never hit that 2 GB cap and usually stayed around 1.4 GB usage. I used it only for work though, so YMMV.

Software: I've said it once; I will say it again... Stock Vanilla Android is the way to go if you want the smoothest experience out there. The lack of skin withing stock Android Marshmallow just flows along smoothly with the device itself. It is snappy, and blazing quick. (as long as you don't load the device to the bone with apps and everything) It is a bonus that the OS gets updated... not second, not third (3 is not the number thou shalt count this time)... FIRST! It is always first in line to get any updates straight from Google.

Features: I can put anything here that would make me say "This device features: " ... Would that be too mean? I'm going to do it anyway. Of course the first thing to talk about on this list is that camera. It features the exact same camera (LAF and DTF included) as the Nexus 6P. (just missing a few of the Camera app features though) You will not be unimpressed by the photos the device takes. They are quite incredible. Just take my word for it this time. Remember how I said the OnePlus 2 fingerprint sensor was quick? I will just bring that over when talking about the 5X Nexus Imprint sensor. It is placed on the back where your index finger usually rests. (or you could hold it upside down and flip people off as you unlock the device with your middle finger. *clears throat* You did not learn this from me.) Turning the device over we have dual front facing speakers! Just kidding! Only the bottom grill is a speaker. It gets pretty loud. It is better than having the speaker on the bottom or back of the device. (Looking at you LG G series, Samsung Galaxy series, and iPhone) As an added bonus the well known Nexus Notification Light makes a return in the 5X (not the 6P) being embedded in the single speaker grill.

Summary: Overall the device is great. The battery life has improved with updates (thankfully), USB Type C is wonderful, the processor is fast enough for me, the screen is nice enough, Doze is wonderful (just look up Doze if you don't know what it is), the device feels great in the hand. I think you will like the device if you decide to let one into your life.

I do not work for Nextbit; I am an expert on the product though. PM if needed.

Contact me through PM if I am needed.

YeOldeGoat wrote:

Chacko1 wrote:

*cough* nextbit mint *cough*

I think it looks real pretty, and dbrands never work out well for me anyway, especially on a device with curved corners

http://img.pandawhale.com/23683-Ashton-Kutcher-burn-gif-95QB.gif

In all seriousness, it all depends on one's taste. I applaud Google for making another option (blue) than just black and white...

Dancing cat approves!
Rebel 3.2

Baymax wrote:

There really are not very many curves, so honestly if this phone were a beautiful woman she would have smooth skin as if she were to moisturize her skin with cocoa butter day in and day out, but she would be a little bit flat chested. (Which is completely fine! I don't judge!)

best review I've ever seen!

btw what kind of SOT were you getting with it on the later updates?

Baymax wrote:

@Chacko1

As with the other short review. I will break it down to the three parts (those being Hardware, Software, and Features) used when describing the OnePlus 2. (for the Nexus 5X though)

Hardware: As for the hardware, it actually reminded me mostly of my HTC One X if anything. The back (like the One X) is polycarbonate, soft touch plastic. There really are not very many curves, so honestly if this phone were a beautiful woman she would have smooth skin as if she were to moisturize her skin with cocoa butter day in and day out, but she would be a little bit flat chested. (Which is completely fine! I don't judge!) Back to the topic though, the outer design of the phone is quite pleasing though it may feel cheap to some. Under the hood though, that is where the powerful beast that is the Snapdragon 808 lies, ready to fly through daily tasks at immense speeds; only stopped by the 2 GB of RAM which some hate, and some don't mind. Either way, from my experience, the phone never hit that 2 GB cap and usually stayed around 1.4 GB usage. I used it only for work though, so YMMV.

Software: I've said it once; I will say it again... Stock Vanilla Android is the way to go if you want the smoothest experience out there. The lack of skin withing stock Android Marshmallow just flows along smoothly with the device itself. It is snappy, and blazing quick. (as long as you don't load the device to the bone with apps and everything) It is a bonus that the OS gets updated... not second, not third (3 is not the number thou shalt count this time)... FIRST! It is always first in line to get any updates straight from Google.

Features: I can put anything here that would make me say "This device features: " ... Would that be too mean? I'm going to do it anyway. Of course the first thing to talk about on this list is that camera. It features the exact same camera (LAF and DTF included) as the Nexus 6P. (just missing a few of the Camera app features though) You will not be unimpressed by the photos the device takes. They are quite incredible. Just take my word for it this time. Remember how I said the OnePlus 2 fingerprint sensor was quick? I will just bring that over when talking about the 5X Nexus Imprint sensor. It is placed on the back where your index finger usually rests. (or you could hold it upside down and flip people off as you unlock the device with your middle finger. *clears throat* You did not learn this from me.) Turning the device over we have dual front facing speakers! Just kidding! Only the bottom grill is a speaker. It gets pretty loud. It is better than having the speaker on the bottom or back of the device. (Looking at you LG G series, Samsung Galaxy series, and iPhone) As an added bonus the well known Nexus Notification Light makes a return in the 5X (not the 6P) being embedded in the single speaker grill.

Summary: Overall the device is great. The battery life has improved with updates (thankfully), USB Type C is wonderful, the processor is fast enough for me, the screen is nice enough, Doze is wonderful (just look up Doze if you don't know what it is), the device feels great in the hand. I think you will like the device if you decide to let one into your life.

Great review as always @Baymax. I was always worried about the 2gb of ram, thanks for clearing that up! You hit all the right spots in your review, and thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on the Nexus 5X! http://media.giphy.com/media/M0cWmMOAdn9Ek/giphy.gif

Dancing cat approves!

About 4-5 hours SOT on the latest update. 

Rebel 3.2

Baymax wrote:

About 4-5 hours SOT on the latest update. 

thats not bad, a lot better than the robin's 2.5-3 hours of flagship killer performance

The Robin has room to improve. 

Definitely. I feel that the Robin's battery life will get that SOT after updates, just like the 5X...

Dancing cat approves!