Nougat still promised after Razer Acquisition?

Highlighted
Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

Re: Nougat still promised after Razer Acquisition?

@KG data has been never saved in "Nextbit servers" and are not saved now in "Razor servers". Since the beginning it's been said they use AWS S3 (Amazon Web Services) for their cloud storage, as they said in their reddit AMA back in February or so. Also, they have no access to any of your data, as it's stored and protected with Google Auth.
However, if you want to get your data somehow completely deleted, contact support at help.nextbit.com to see if they can do anything for you related to this.

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
KG
Rebel 3.2

Thanks for the reply @david, but how can it not be Nextbit's servers, aafter all they are being charged by AWS for it, isnt it ?

Also If they dont have access to my data, how will they delete it if i contact them ? Isnt it a contrary statement you just gave ?

So that means they have access to my virtual bucket of sorts & i am pretty sure a super user can have access to it, which is given with every AWS account, incase of data migration etc.

So this is a cuase of concern for me.

1) They're Nextbit's servers of course, but they are hosted by AWS. However, as already said, Nextbit will keep acting as a standalone company, so those servers will still be controled by Nextbit.
2) The data is encrypted when it goes to the cloud. I can't give further details about how they manage all the data there, but I'll give you an example: Imagine you download a .rar file, and that it's protected by a password. You can't open it because you don't have that password, but you can delete it.
The team gave some answers about security terms here,in case you want to take a look: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3l726c/we_are_nextbit_the_developers_of_the_robin/
Anyway, I'll try to get furter info about this thing in particular for you. Stay tuned

D
KG
Rebel 3.2

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that  @david really appreciate it, Yes I agree its encrypted, but then so was Apple's #thefappening . All I am trying to say is, we as users trusted Nextbit with the data now in a blink its ownership has changed, & we never had a way to access what goes in the cloud. So this is something as a user i would like to have a clear picture of, or atleast as way i can access what's in the cloud bucket of mine.

Rebel 2.6

[ Edited ]

I think the message about the warranty is really confusing here...

6 Months since when?  Since Feb 2018 or our promised ONE YEAR WARRANTY have suddenly been shortened to 6 months?

Why is that NO ONE from NextBit is answering this question?  

Rebel 3.0

That is possibly the most frustrating part. There is obviously part of the community concerned after a vague press release and yet there has been ZERO communication on the prime concerns.

Hi guys,

It's true the warranty thing is a bit confusing. I'll try to get an answer as soon as posible. Thanks for your patience

D

Nextbit Employee Nextbit Employee

Heyyyyyy everyone, calm down. Sorry for the delayed reply, I mean..we just announced yesterday and I've been in the Reddit threads most of yesterday...plus, I need some sleep so give me a chance to answer your questions before y'all get riled up. Per our announcement, we will continue to act independently of Razer, we're just a part of the family. We'll continue to support everyone through Feb 2018. This means, security updates, OS updates, etc. Does that mean we absolutely without a doubt get O? No. We're working hard on N right now and are still going through CTS certification - this takes a while. What does this mean for your data? It's STILL encrypted with us, and Razer doesn't have access to it. All is status quo. Warranties - Officially, management has decided to discontinue hardware warranties at 6 months. Regarding software, we will try to support you for a longer time because of OS updates things that can potentially affect your device. I don't have details on inventory levels right now, and won't sure what they'll be past July, but we'll do our best to keep you all supported and up and running.

#NextNow
Rebel 2.8

First, congrats on the M&A. That's a vote of confidence from a business perspective, I think. It will be interesting to see what comes from Nextbit in the next year.

That being said, whether anyone trusts you enough to buy what you make depends on how you handle this hardware warranty business, IMO. How can management decide to cut the hardware warranty short on existing sales? Isn't that breach of contract? Even if it isn't and no one takes you to court over it, why would you willfully choose to tick off your customer base in such a major way? I don't care what the price is, when you buy a product with a one year warranty, you darn better get a one year warranty on that product. Would you so casually accept that if your car or kitchen appliance manufacturer decided to cut short your warranty from 5 years to 2 years with no warning and no compensation for loss of potential services? You paid a lot for that car/refrigerator and part of what you paid for was the warranty. Now what you paid for is cancelled on a whim and you're left with a null and empty promise. You'd be ok with that?

If you said that in 30 days all sales are finished (even from Amazon) and anything sold until then gets the standard one year of support, or all phones sold from 3rd party sources from Feb 1st forward only get 6 months warranty (but all existing warranties for past purchases are fully honored), I would say those are both acceptable choices. People receive what they paid/contracted for, and those who decide to get it after the announcement understand they are getting a good deal partially because they are purchasing a shorter warranty. All very fair, in my opinion. But to capriciously change the contract after it's been agreed to and paid for is at best, bad business. You will lose those customers and their good will forever, not to mention gain a bad reputation that will be attached to you and your company which will linger for who knows how long. Is that really an acceptable scenario for you? You don't have to promise the moon, or even Android O or better battery life. Just be honorable and give people what they paid for.

Nextbit Employee Nextbit Employee

eisenbergz wrote:

First, congrats on the M&A. That's a vote of confidence from a business perspective, I think. It will be interesting to see what comes from Nextbit in the next year.

That being said, whether anyone trusts you enough to buy what you make depends on how you handle this hardware warranty business, IMO. How can management decide to cut the hardware warranty short on existing sales? Isn't that breach of contract? Even if it isn't and no one takes you to court over it, why would you willfully choose to tick off your customer base in such a major way? I don't care what the price is, when you buy a product with a one year warranty, you darn better get a one year warranty on that product. Would you so casually accept that if your car or kitchen appliance manufacturer decided to cut short your warranty from 5 years to 2 years with no warning and no compensation for loss of potential services? You paid a lot for that car/refrigerator and part of what you paid for was the warranty. Now what you paid for is cancelled on a whim and you're left with a null and empty promise. You'd be ok with that?

If you said that in 30 days all sales are finished (even from Amazon) and anything sold until then gets the standard one year of support, or all phones sold from 3rd party sources from Feb 1st forward only get 6 months warranty (but all existing warranties for past purchases are fully honored), I would say those are both acceptable choices. People receive what they paid/contracted for, and those who decide to get it after the announcement understand they are getting a good deal partially because they are purchasing a shorter warranty. All very fair, in my opinion. But to capriciously change the contract after it's been agreed to and paid for is at best, bad business. You will lose those customers and their good will forever, not to mention gain a bad reputation that will be attached to you and your company which will linger for who knows how long. Is that really an acceptable scenario for you? You don't have to promise the moon, or even Android O or better battery life. Just be honorable and give people what they paid for.

Thank you for the feedback. THIS is the type that I appreciate and all I can do is tell you guys that I'll bring it up with management to reevaluate the decision.

#NextNow