Should I switch devices?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rebel 3.0

Should I switch devices?

I am really looking forward to what Nextbit will bring us next now that they have joined the Razer family. 

But I was sad to hear that they stopped producing the Robin and are only doing warranty support for another 6 months. 

I love my Robin almost exactly as much as I loved my BlackBerry Passport (favorite device ever). 

So I was thinking, despite really loving my Robin, maybe I should switch to another device until they come out with a new device.

I am so worried that something may happen to my Robin and I will have to switch anyway. So then not only will I have to switch, but I will have a busted Robin. But if I switch now, I can put my Robin in a shadow box and display it on my wall with all my other preserved and beloved hardware. 

Opinions?

14 REPLIES
Rebel 3.0

Re: Should I switch devices?

The phone is 160 bucks. As times goes on...I'm sure the price will keep dropping. Buy another one if you want to preserve it. 

I've been using mine since X-mas of 2016. So far I really like it...but I won't be too bummed if the phone goes belly up after July 2017. 

Rebel 3.2

Robin is dead, and there won't be any phone.
Don't keep hopes.. It is all over!
Rebel 3.2

Amen brother, people need to be realistic. There isn't going to be another phone.
Rebel 3.0

It was clearly stated that they would still be operating as Nextbit and phones/tech is what they do. 

Pretty sure there will be a new phone from them in the future. 

This is just my opinion and I will state it as such. 

No one can state anything as fact right now. 

Rebel 3.2

xRuhRohx wrote:

It was clearly stated that they would still be operating as Nextbit and phones/tech is what they do. 

Cutting the support on the current phone give you a clear clue that there won't be any successor. If they planned to release a new phone, they would never have stopped the production and warranty of Robin.

You need to think about Mercury. Well, from another dying company!

Rebel 3.0

You guys need to keep in mind that from the beginning nextbit said they would only support the phone for 2 years. That was their goal, FROM THE BEGINNING. Don't complain about nextbit not supporting the phone through software updates after Feburary 2017.

Thats a completley different story from the warranty situation, but I feel that it's warranted. Every business needs to make money, yes? Well, when our warranty runs out and nextbit makes a new phone (if they make a new phone) then we as customers would be inclined to buy the new one for more support and warranty, yes? 

Rebel 3.0

John-Albert wrote:

xRuhRohx wrote:

Cutting the support on the current phone give you a clear clue that there won't be any successor. If they planned to release a new phone, they would never have stopped the production and warranty of Robin.

You need to think about Mercury. Well, from another dying company!

Companies stop supporting phones all the time, that is why most phone warranties are only 1 year.  And software support continues because their other devices use primarily the same software.  

And BlackBerry is not a dying company, they just lost the OS race. They are prospering everywhere else that they have a hand in. 

Rebel 3.0

xRuhRohx wrote:

@xRuhRohx, like your opinion and enthusiasm.  Do not want to be the naysayer here but unfortunately Nextbit are not historically "phone" company.  If you know/recall their product (idea) upon which they were founded was (likely still is) not making a new phone but developing revolutionary take on the cloud as extension of the device (device not said to be specifically a phone).  They started with attempt to develop prove of concept app that employ that idea and were unsuccessful--neither Cyanogen not OnePlus took on the idea even though the app was developed to work on OPO under CyanogenOS.  Looks like they needed OS integration to get things working and obviously CynogenOS was not the OS they could do it with.  I believe that caused them to bite the bullet and develop their own prove of concept OS+device in order to demonstrate what they can do.  I believe this is how the Robin was born (with the help of Kickstarter) but I do not think it was ever intended to be the future of Nextbit--it was just the vessel which to demonstrate their cloud technology (idea).  With the acquisition by Razer sounds like they finally managed to successfully achieve that.  As I see the things, Robin was just a tool and if you pay attention Nextbit never said otherwise.  All the rumors about Robin successor came from fans like us who love the phone but never from the company (Khang always said "excited about what is coming" and we assumed is Robin 2).  I always kept that in mind and am very doubtful that even without the acquisition  there would have been another phone from Nextbit.  But without acquisition very likely there would have been no Nextbit Cloud tech either because they quite likely would have been gone under.  I am sorry for the discouraging comments but this is my opinion based on what I have seen and think.  Take it as you like--just my 2 cents.

Rebel 3.0

jimmyst wrote:

xRuhRohx wrote:

@xRuhRohx, like your opinion and enthusiasm.  Do not want to be the naysayer here but unfortunately Nextbit are not historically "phone" company.  If you know/recall their product (idea) upon which they were founded was (likely still is) not making a new phone but developing revolutionary take on the cloud as extension of the device (device not said to be specifically a phone).  They started with attempt to develop prove of concept app that employ that idea and were unsuccessful--neither Cyanogen not OnePlus took on the idea even though the app was developed to work on OPO under CyanogenOS.  Looks like they needed OS integration to get things working and obviously CynogenOS was not the OS they could do it with.  I believe that caused them to bite the bullet and develop their own prove of concept OS+device in order to demonstrate what they can do.  I believe this is how the Robin was born (with the help of Kickstarter) but I do not think it was ever intended to be the future of Nextbit--it was just the vessel which to demonstrate their cloud technology (idea).  With the acquisition by Razer sounds like they finally managed to successfully achieve that.  As I see the things, Robin was just a tool and if you pay attention Nextbit never said otherwise.  All the rumors about Robin successor came from fans like us who love the phone but never from the company (Khang always said "excited about what is coming" and we assumed is Robin 2).  I always kept that in mind and am very doubtful that even without the acquisition  there would have been another phone from Nextbit.  But without acquisition very likely there would have been no Nextbit Cloud tech either because they quite likely would have been gone under.  I am sorry for the discouraging comments but this is my opinion based on what I have seen and think.  Take it as you like--just my 2 cents.

I am glad you stated everything as your opinion. It is very refreshing to hear.