So, Rebels, where do we go next?

SOLVED
Rebel 2.8

So, Rebels, where do we go next?

[ Edited ]

I love my Robin ... I really do. I was ready to buy another and looking forward to the children of Robin. I was looking forward to more cool colors, more everything. Looks like that's not going happen ...

So if you were going to change from Robin where would you go? Is there a Kickstarter out there with the same values as NextBit, and the same openness that we have seen? Or are we condemned to just picking something from the pack of mediocre faceless stuff that seems to the phone market these days?

Or do you rebels think we should back Razer as the way forward for what we want?

Meanwhile I will keep proudly using my Robin until it dies or becomes a liability ...

All the best,

Dave

9 REPLIES
Rebel 3.6

Re: So, Rebels, where do we go next?

Meanwhile I will keep proudly using my Robin until it dies or becomes a liability ...

This is my stance for now. I like my device and even the dev community does. I am quite glad there are so many ROM options.

And when the time comes to upgrade I will look for whats out there, if there is a Nextbit-Razer phone out there or in news I will surely give it a look before moving my head elsewhere.

Rebel 2.8

I think I will wait and see what happens with nexbit and razer. Maybe in a few months we will know more what plans they have. Hopefully they are good on their word with updates etc. If nothing looks like it's on the horizon for nexbit I personally like the Sony xz, front facing speakers water proof and good specs.
Rebel 3.0

I came here after owning an nvidia shield tablet. While a big company nvidea 

<s>could care less</s>

No...

<s>let's them go</s>

No...

Nvidea could not care less about it's mobile division... So it's mobile division does whatever it wants, and when you have that kind of anarchy you get rebels Smiley Happy

I needed the money so I sold my tablet (and recently bought one back lol) but things have changed. (Barring the Nintendo Switch contract) Nvidea doesn't seem to care about mobile devices any more Smiley Sad BUT to answer your question my first thought was you might want to look into what happens with the nvidea shield line. I still believe they have some life left and HOPEFULLY a new device surfaces... Nvidea just seems to care about automated car technology.

Anyway why do I call the folks in charge of the shield rebels? Well because their tablet was like the robin, unlocked, and they basically encouraged you to hack it xD that's the kind of attitude I look for! Moving forward though I have no idea. Perhaps Nextbit will show it didn't 'sell out' perhaps they'll grow a niche like the nvidea shield team did and keep that attitude while working for the man. It is possible xD

Rebel 3.2

All clues say that there won't be any phone from Nextbit. If they had any plan for any phone, they wouldn't have stopped support for Robin

My next station would be the legend NOKIA!
Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]

Well, I gave up with my Robin, and even more so with Nextbit itself, some time ago.  Got fed up with the constant freeze ups and instability, and because I simply ended up not believing much of what Nextbit was saying and promising.  I ended up going over to what some, maybe many of you, might think of as the "Dark Side".  iPhone you say?  No, God no, not so so dark and lost as that!  I replaced my Robin with a Samsung S7, and while Samsung is definately not my favorite corporate giant, the S7 has turned out to be the very best phone I have ever owned.  It is the closest I have ever found to the perfect phone for me.  And this announcement of the end of Nextbit and Robin, both sad, and strangely not surprising,  tells me I made the right choice.  While its not the best choice for everyone, it works for me. 

Rebel 3.0

dave_bainbridge wrote:

I love my Robin ... I really do. I was ready to buy another and looking forward to the children of Robin. I was looking forward to more cool colors, more everything. Looks like that's not going happen ...

So if you were going to change from Robin where would you go? Is there a Kickstarter out there with the same values as NextBit, and the same openness that we have seen? Or are we condemned to just picking something from the pack of mediocre faceless stuff that seems to the phone market these days?

Or do you rebels think we should back Razer as the way forward for what we want?

All the best,

Dave

I personally can't wait to see what they come up with now that they are part of the Razer family. 

I literally just made a post about switching devices to preserve the condition of my Robin. 

Rebel 3.2

If they do make a phone ( which I seriously doubt they will) it would be some gaming phone 3x more expensive than the Robin.
Rebel 3.0

dave_bainbridge wrote:

No rebels should be answering to a mega-giant international corperation.

Be honest with yourself. You're no longer a rebel. You're the remnants of a failed and brief attempt of a revolution, surrendering to a quest for profits.

Rebel 3.0

"You're no longer a rebel. You're the remnants of a failed and brief attempt of a revolution, surrendering to a quest for profits."

Basically. =/ Empty chairs, for empty tables~

Proud owner of an Ember - Nougat Beta Tester (Currently running Update 3)