WiFi calling on N?

Rebel 3.0

WiFi calling on N?

Does anybody know if it works?

Can I test it by turning on Airplane Mode and WiFi? I tried it and can't make a call.

9 REPLIES
Rebel 2.8

Re: WiFi calling on N?

I am seeing no evidence of Wi-Fi calls.   You cannot test this using airplane mode.   Wi-Fi calling uses your SIM to authenticate you to the T-Mobile network. In airplane mode the SIM is effectivity disabled, with Wi-Fi enabled and the cellular radio disabled, Wi-Fi calling will not work (at least this is my experience on all my other phones),    On 6.0 I did notice in the LTE Discovery app during a call with Wi-Fi calling enabled, I was seeing something called IWLAN under network type appear during a call.   I do not know what IWLAN is, but I have not seen this on any other phone that I own and it only appeared during a call with Wi-Fi calling enabled.   This is no longer the case on 7.0.

There are 3 things that bug me about this whole Wi-Fi calling snafu.

1. The option exists to enable Wi-Fi calling, even though the feature is not supported/enabled.
  2. No indication that Wi-Fi calling is functional (or VOLTE calls for that matter).
  3. No official word from Nextbit as to whether this feature has been implemented and under what circumstances it actually works. (I saw one post that mentioned that w Wi-Fi calling will only works if all other methods are not available -- This would be a very different from any other phone I have used) .

I would assume by now that if we were ever going to get Wi-Fi calling we would have seen it.  I think development on this phone is dead and we have all the features are ever going to get.

Rebel 2.6

[ Edited ]

Wifi works on my Robin. No problems there.

Truthfully. I haven't had any problems with my Robin at all since the Nougat Install.

Rebel 2.8

I take my earlier post back.   We do appear to have Wi-Fi calling but there is some secret sauce involved.

I recall reading somewhere that under APN settings you need to have hipri listed under APN type.   I am on Ting, a T-Mobile MVNO that supports WiFi calling.

In my APN for Ting, under APN type I have default,admin,mms,supl,hipri,internet,dun.

I was missing the last three from my list.   When I remove hipri, WiFi calling stops working.  

The only way I have been able to verify WiFi calling is with the LTE Discovery app.   The app shows a connetion call IWLAN.   That single strengh increases and decrease the closer/further I move from my WiFi access point.

I can also see in LTE Discovery see that when IWLAN is connected the celular radios go off.  If I power cycle my router the celular singal returns until WiFi comes back up.

So yes, it appears we do have WiFi calling.

Rebel 3.0

Mine just says default, supl.
Rebel 2.8

You should be able to edit that line and add the addtional settings.

Rebel 2.8

Same issue!!!!
Rebel 2.6

This doesn't seem to work on T-mobile.

Rebel 2.6

[ Edited ]

It just doesn't work with T-Mobile

Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]

I am replying to bring raise the question again. Anyone have Wi-Fi calling working on Nougat+tmobile?

I do not with the default apn settings that came with the sim.