Tried to install the new update (I am running TWRP) and now phone keeps booting into recovery

Rebel 2.8

Tried to install the new update (I am running TWRP) and now phone keeps booting into recovery

So I'm running stock with TWRP. I got the notification to install the new Robin update and when the phone restarted, it booted into recovery.(See attached)

If I select "Reboot system now," it reboots back into recovery.

If I select "Reboot into bootloader," it boots into fastboot (I think?) where I can select Power off, Restart, Recovery, or Fastboot

Not sure how to proceed from here so any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES
Rebel 3.2

Re: Tried to install the new update (I am running TWRP) and now phone keeps booting into recovery

I think you have bricked your Robin. Remember NEVER OTA if you're rooted.

What you need to do now is to flash back the previous build through TWRP, unroot, update then root it again.

Hope this helps!
Rebel 3.0

Re: Tried to install the new update (I am running TWRP) and now phone keeps booting into recovery

[ Edited ]
If you have a nandroid back up you can choose just to restore the boot image and that should work to get you back up and running into your old setup.

How do I know... I've done it on two separate occasions
Rebel 2.8

[ Edited ]

Alright, I'll try flashing back to my previous Nandroid. Rookie mistake!

So in the future, always unroot before OTA? The root was what botched the update and not the custom bootloader, right?

Rebel 3.0

HELP ME TOO ITS STUCK IN RECOVERY BOOT BUT I DIDNT ROOT MY PHONE!!!! ONLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WTF HELP WTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Rebel 3.0

Man I TRIED THE FACTORY IMAGES FLASH THAT KHANG POSTED AND IT STILL DOESNT WORK Smiley Sad WTF

Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

First of all, it seems that having twrp installed will cause bootloop as well. But the picture you attached was stock recovery, not twrp. Before trying to install the update, are you sure you had twrp installed? Were you root?

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Rebel 2.8

David - yeah, positive that I had TWRP and root. I used TWRP to install XPosed as well as gain root. It's odd that after I installed the update, booting into system caused me to boot into that stock recovery menu. You're saying it's because of TWRP and not root?

Rebel 2.8

Andycheng - still no luck? I'm sorry to hear that. I was able to to get my Robin back to a workable state by restoring from a Nandroid. Do you have one set up? It looks like TWRP is the crux of our issue

Rebel 2.8

I'm not rooted. I was sure to do a full unroot. And was sure to completely delete any root related applications to avoid complications. After I start the update it says unpacking and rebooting then it boots to TWRP. My phone is not bricked. It works fine but I'm still on 6.0.1. Any help will be appreciated.