[ACRONYMS] Official CyanogenMod 13!

SOLVED
Recognized Developer

[ACRONYMS] Official CyanogenMod 13!

[ Edited ]

It's been awhile since I've done some proper CM-style renegade stuff since starting the Inc, and I really dig the Robin so I spent some time getting CM13 going on it!

Thanks to Sean Hoyt for the preliminary work with TWRP to play off of Smiley Happy

Nightly builds are in full swing and you can find them here:

http://get.cm/?device=ether

Full source code is availalbe at our Github.. https://github.com/CyanogenMod

Kernel:  https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_nextbit_msm8992

Device: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_nextbit_ether

So far things are really solid and you can use it as your daily driver without worry. I'm still working thru a few audio, power and thermal related issues but nothing that is a showstopper. I've only had the device a few days and things have moved fast!  We don't currently support Nextbit's cloud storage solution, but if this isn't an issue for you then you've come to the right place. The device is unlockable, works on most carriers, and has a ton of potential if you are into hacking things to bits! Robot Happy

A few reasons to go for it:

1. System-wide performance is excellent

2. Nicer looking display and better sound (still WIP, lots of work needed here)

3. Nifty use of the LEDs. The rear LEDs will indicate your charge while plugged in.

4. All things CyanogenMod- themes, privacy, great A/V, total control, open source,, and community

5. Nightly builds and the associated horrors that we love to subject ourselves to

6. You love the industrial design of the Robin, you want something lean and mean, and don't really need the storage solution

7. Nextbit is hacker-friendly and you can flip flop between CM, stock, and whatever other ROMs arise at will Smiley Happy

A few reasons not to:

1. No epic cloud-storage-solution-of-doom from Nextbit. 

2. It's a WIP and a few edges are still rough with CM. A couple of audio use cases aren't tested, power usage isn't optimized, and VoLTE/WiFi calling aren't yet working (do they work for you on the stock rom?) I'm in process of making the build CTS-compliant, so much of this should be a non issue after the next week or so. 

3. The manual mode in the stock camera is pretty cool- CM doesn't have this yet. Working on it though!

4. You bought an edgy, hipster phone but are really just a poseur Smiley Happy

Let me know how things go, especially if something is  broken Robot surprised

Want to submit a patch or a fix? Drop by the CyanogenMod Gerrit and tag me on your change.

DISCLAIMER:

Cyanogen Inc and Nextbit are pretty good friends in the corporate world, but this is a totally independent effort on my end. All opinions spoken here are my own and do not represent those of the Powers That Be, the Vogon Constructor Fleet, or Batman.

Enjoy Smiley Happy

220 REPLIES
Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

Re: [ACRONYMS] Official CyanogenMod 13!

Apart from the rom itself, your post is crazy, I like it! Thanks for doing this and sharing it here Smiley Very Happy
(PS: I'm sorry, I need cloud storage lol, but will give it a try for some days) 😇

David.
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Rebel 3.0

[ Edited ]
Great post! I'm so glad you took the time to support Nextbit and Robin. I really enjoy running CM. It's one of the only things I miss about my OnePlus.

Will cloud storage ever be supported on CM though??

That would make this the end all be all of Android devices. Running the best **bleep**ing rom around with one of the most innovative storage solutions to date all on the sexiest **bleep** device ever produced. I'm going to dream till it comes true.

It's a great day for Android.

PS. The use of the rear LEDS for charging status is genius.

PSS. Forgive my language... My excitement gets the better of me sometimes. But it needed to be said.
Nextbit Employee Nextbit Employee

Hi @cyanogen,

Thank you so much for bringing up CM on Robin. Your efforts mean a lot to our fans including myself and hopefully allow other devs to take the plunge.

I've already flashed the nightly, and have been testing some of the features. I'll report back ASAP.

Thank you again for your tremendous efforts! Please reach out to me if there's anything you need. I'd be happy to help. 😊

#NextNow
Rebel 2.8

Would you know if the speaker is broken during a phone call, my loud speaker during a phone doesn't work on 2016-5-6 nightly. Also, I do get VoLTE during a phone call.

Recognized Developer

Yes, I'm working on audio today in the lab. There are a few broken use cases (routing) and I think overall sound quality can be improved quite a bit.
Rebel 2.8

Ah, ok, just making sure it wasn't myself or went unreported. Thank you!

@cyanogen - I have a couple of devices that I'm testing AICP and CM13 on. Seems like there's a weird WI-FI issue in both where it seems like it can't stay connected to the the network (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz). Are you seeing this as well? If not, how would you like me to troubleshoot, or log?

Thanks,

Khang

#NextNow

Also noticed that waking device by picking it up seems to not function. Am I missing something? Just assuming user error here..😊

#NextNow
Rebel 2.8

Waking the device when I picked it up also doesn't function for me, I haven't very much noticed the wifi dropping though but I haven't also paid much attention to it.