Music Situation

Rebel 2.6

Music Situation

So I don't know if any of you fellow rebels out there have received your Robin yet, but I did. Before I get too excited I had a question regarding music and offline tracks. I personally use Spotify premium and I know a lot of the streaming platforms allow you to listen offline. Now since we have a plethora of offline storage, how will downloading tracks work if when they go the cloud, you can't access the information. I guess what I'm getting at is, do I only have the space to download about 4 or 5 GB worth of music onboard when I could have about 20 or 30 GB in the cloud dedicated to storage?

6 REPLIES
Rebel 3.0

Re: Music Situation

Hey @alerro2, my understanding is that the Cloud only stores camera roll pics and apps. It's not set to off load videos or music.

Rebel 2.6

So even if the app itself along with its data is in the cloud, I can't access it unless it's onboard. Even so, if I had 25 GB of music in the app, and i tried to bring it back to the phone onboard, would it not download?

Rebel 2.8

Thats a good question. I kinda wondered the same since I use google music. Say I want to download more than 30gigs of music to the phone, what happens?

Rebel 3.0

It will only offload data when the phone is getting close to full and it starts with the unused apps first.  My understanding is that it uploads the data like log in details and will remember where you were in the app whe it was offloaded, but does not move any content like music. I could be wrong! But that is my understanding.

So if you have 30G of music, then I don't think you are going to be able to store it all on the phone to begin with.

Rebel 3.2

MintyFresh wrote:

Hey @alerro2, my understanding is that the Cloud only stores camera roll pics and apps. It's not set to off load videos or music.

While this is true for the current state of the cloud functionality, Nextbit has already said they are working on getting videos and music integrated into the cloud functions. At some future point, I would think you could download it to your cloud storage and then play it from there.  However, I don't think it will be able to do that offline, I think you would need some connection to be able to stream the music from your own cloud.

Rebel 2.8

I think this should be the next smart storage improvement to be done. I have downloaded music of more than 30 GB, so i should have the choice to upload these music files to my cloud.

So as for now, we can upload just fotos, vids and apps. We hope the best for the future.