Need to do a Master Reset - Questions about Backup, Cloud and Restore

Rebel 3.0

Need to do a Master Reset - Questions about Backup, Cloud and Restore

Hey there,

So my Electric Robin speaker is broken, but CS is insisting I preform a Master Reset.  Now ususally I am not concerned with apps, as most of the app data is stored in the cloud on most of the apps I use. However I am concerned with SMS messages, photos, videos, etc.

Typically before I master reset a phone, I do the following:

1. Run SMS Backup and Restore
  2. Make sure all my apps are backed up to their respective servers, like whatsapp, etc.
  3. Connect phone to computer and use Android File Transfer to transfer the folders I need (image folders, video folders, SMS Backup Folders, etc.)

I then master reset my phone and wait for google play to restore most everything.  Then I connect my phone back to my computer and drag and drop the folders I backed up, followed by restoring the messages from SMS Backup and Restore.

Now how does this work if all the images are now thumbnails on my phone? Do I need to disable "Back up my media" Also, when I connect my robin via PTP to the photos app on my mac, will it know to import the actual images or only the thumbnails?

-themak

5 REPLIES
Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

Re: Need to do a Master Reset - Questions about Backup, Cloud and Restore

As far as I know, the images are stored in the cloud, and that's why you only see thumbnails in your Robin. Your pictures should restore when booting your Robin after the hard reset.
However, @Khang, any word on that?
Thanks

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Rebel 3.0

Doing a factory reset will not remove anything from your cloud smart storage, it will all still be there. So you won't need to save your images from your phone. When you do the reset, don't log into your google account during set up. Just bypass that during set up and then test your system. When you have tested what they need you to test, you can then log into gmail and smart storage to get your phone back to the way it was before. Cat Happy

Rebel 3.0

That does not work for me.  

I want my images saved on my computer regardless of what is in the cloud.

I also want my full size images for when I upload them into the Photos app on my computer.

I am already hating the cloud feature.

-themak

Nextbit Product Expert Nextbit Product Expert

@themak then deactivate it.

D
Join the Nextbit squad! I'll be pleased to help you if you send me a PM!
Nextbit Employee Nextbit Employee

themak wrote:

Hey there,

So my Electric Robin speaker is broken, but CS is insisting I preform a Master Reset.  Now ususally I am not concerned with apps, as most of the app data is stored in the cloud on most of the apps I use. However I am concerned with SMS messages, photos, videos, etc.

Typically before I master reset a phone, I do the following:

1. Run SMS Backup and Restore
  2. Make sure all my apps are backed up to their respective servers, like whatsapp, etc.
  3. Connect phone to computer and use Android File Transfer to transfer the folders I need (image folders, video folders, SMS Backup Folders, etc.)

I then master reset my phone and wait for google play to restore most everything.  Then I connect my phone back to my computer and drag and drop the folders I backed up, followed by restoring the messages from SMS Backup and Restore.

Now how does this work if all the images are now thumbnails on my phone? Do I need to disable "Back up my media" Also, when I connect my robin via PTP to the photos app on my mac, will it know to import the actual images or only the thumbnails?

-themak

Remember, we only backup and archive photos when you begin running out of space. Currently we don't have a way to let you know what's been offloaded or not. Now with that said, you can manually offload every picture and app if you want to by enabling the debug mode on Smart storage by tapping several times on the version, and then selecting the Upload Now and Clean all options. 

If you have videos, I would back up your photos/videos there for redundancy.l 

Then I would wipe your phone. Once that's done. I would then set up your new phone normally with Google Apps and Sync with Smart storage. If all goes well, you should be able to see your photos/videos (on Photos) and your photos in the gallery. Your applications should return as well. However, you'll need to log in again.

#NextNow