Media layer

Rebel 3.0

Media layer

I think Nextbit should build and offer an all in one media player on the phone. There are decent ones out there, but have one that can maybe access the cloud.

13 REPLIES
Rebel 3.0

Re: Media layer

If possible some sort of Google Music integration would be great too, even if its a wrapper of some sort.  I know a lot of us probably use the subscription service they offer!  This is a great idea though.

Rebel 2.8

It's not possible as the API is private and proprietary, Google isn't going to give it out.
Rebel 3.0

How about Spotify integration into a Nextbit media player?
http://www.andycallaby.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/fatbenjamin
Rebel 3.2

I would rather just see a full media player for music or video stored locally.  They can add in functionality for streaming services or podcasts later but for now we need something that can just play our music/video on our device without the use of 3rd party Apps.  

Rebel 2.8

Why? Why do we need an app to play music developed by the Nextbit team? There's enough 3rd party apps out there already, plus the Google Play app that can play music stored locally. Why is it absolutely necessary for Nextbit to make their own?
Rebel 3.2

Falanor wrote:
Why? Why do we need an app to play music developed by the Nextbit team? There's enough 3rd party apps out there already, plus the Google Play app that can play music stored locally. Why is it absolutely necessary for Nextbit to make their own?

By that logic why do we need the Nextbit team to work on anything new?  There is already a million apps in the play store that can do virtually everything.  No one is saying it is necessary it is simply a request, not everyone wants to use a 3rd party app and not everyone uses Google Play Music.  Why are you so against it is the better question, will it really negatively affect you if they have their own separate media player?

Rebel 2.8

Seeing as it was stated as a need and not a want, that would mean it is necessary. Secondly, we're here for beta testing of the OS, not apps. And would it negatively affect me? Yeah, it would lessen my enjoyment of the phone to have excess apps on here that double up on already preinstalled applications. Its been mostly lean on doubling up on apps as it is, considering the size limitations of the phone itself, adding more decreases the amount of apps that I can already load on here with music, documents, and photos/videos that I make using the phone.

Rebel 3.2

[ Edited ]

Falanor wrote:

Seeing as it was stated as a need and not a want, that would mean it is necessary. Secondly, we're here for beta testing of the OS, not apps. And would it negatively affect me? Yeah, it would lessen my enjoyment of the phone to have excess apps on here that double up on already preinstalled applications. Its been mostly lean on doubling up on apps as it is, considering the size limitations of the phone itself, adding more decreases the amount of apps that I can already load on here with music, documents, and photos/videos that I make using the phone.

Nothing is necessary.  Everything posted here is stuff that people want to see added.  Part of beta testing is testing out new software features including new apps.  I find it really hard to believe that one extra app would "ruin your enjoyment".  A new media player app would take up at most 15mb of extra space.  If testing out new apps/software developed by Nextbit is going to cause you that much of a hassle you probably shouldn't be a beta tester, this isn't for you.  

Rebel 2.8

balcobomber25 wrote:

Falanor wrote:

Nothing is necessary.  Everything posted here is stuff that people want to see added.  Part of beta testing is testing out new software features including new apps.  I find it really hard to believe that one extra app would "ruin your enjoyment".  A new media player app would take up at most 15mb of extra space.  If testing out new apps/software developed by Nextbit is going to cause you that much of a hassle you probably shouldn't be a beta tester, this isn't for you.  

First off, thanks for deciding what is and isn't best for me. I've done a lot of beta testing work for phones and other tech as it is, so no I do think this is for me, but I'll take your suggestion under advisement.

Never did I say it would ruin my enjoyment, so how about you stop putting words to me that I never said? I said it would lessen my enjoyment of the phone, lessen, not ruin. How about we first finish beta testing the OS before trying to convince the Nextbit team to add extra apps on top of everything else?