here is my story....

SOLVED
Rebel 3.6

here is my story....

I am traveling Red mountain pass (see my photos in the Robincam board), one of the most dangerous, and remote roads in the world and I am taking video at the most exciting part of the drive, when BAM memory full. My only option now is to delete some of my previous video i took on my drive, or send some things to the cloud. But to send the video on data plan will be to expensive, and of course at this remote location I have no tower signal anyhow. I took more video than planned, but I am now totally stuck. if i had already reached the full memory point where it starts uploading to the cloud, before my trip it would have really been a big problem sooner, but I had not, still it was full. I guess the only solution is to have a memory card slot also for emergencies, and of course keep the cloud feature. Otherwise I have to keep my laptop or something to transfer files over to with me at all times. In the city even.... if it reaches within a few gigs of max capicity and starts uploading data, will this keep me able to continue on filming? I guess I will need a very fast connection to keep up the video/upload-app ratio.

Also a big help would be the capicity to swipe upward the icons to send it to the cloud, no matter the free memory status, as we swipe downward to pin the app, or click to restore.

-===(Colin Burhart Wilson)(www.KubrickStare.com)===-
6 REPLIES
Jew
Rebel 2.8

Re: here is my story....

I'd suggest offloading your pictures and videos to your cloud/facebook/google drive/onedrive/instagram/twitter/etc every time you get to a wifi point. Alternatively, they make attachments that allow you to hook up sd and usb devices via usb type c. That would allow you to transfer anytime on the go. Otherwise maybe pick up a nice dedicated camera for your trips. Not to mention the increased quality of photos. Food for thought.

Rebel 3.6

what if I am pinned down in a terrorist attack for hours, or some other unexpected situation where a camera is desired, police brutality perhaps.... besides until the whole world is wired with super high speed internet (including remote locations), it is not prctical to have all memory cloud based, especially at the point where local memory is almost full. carying an extra device is not practical, phones are going the way of having even more attachments (Project ARA for example), not less, or carrying even worse 2 devices, but rather consolidating them all.

Rebel 3.6

Firstly, I don't see this being a practical situation. You most likely know how much storage you got on your phone and if you are such a heavy user who has taken up the storage space with photos and videos, you sir needed a bigger storage phone in the first place.

Secondly, you bought the phone knowing its features and limitations. It isn't something you were forced to buy. There are people who don't buy such phones because they simply want a sd Card slot. You cannot question a company's decision at a hardware standpoint. Hardware is chosen after a lot of deliberation.

A phone cannot make everyone happy, that is why the market is so huge with hundreds of options.

Thirdly and most importantly, your problem is already solved by Smart Storage. And you shall always have enough space. If you use smart storage then your data is already backed up on cloud everytime you connect to the home wifi and/or charger, if you are not using smart storage then you sir cannot be happy with any phone as at some point internet + external storage will get full. Smart storage settings are very extensive but quite sufficient for now.  The whole idea of smart storage I reckon is to make sure that you don't need to make space by doing anything with your stored data. In other phones, one needs to either manage cloud storage themselves or manually backup to their desktop/laptop.

Rebel 3.6

I hear ya, belive me I am as much of a Robin fan as anyone, or more. But there is some trouble, even if I have a full phone and smart storage is kicked in, and I am planing a road trip let's say, there is no way to free up any space. A few bits of high res footage and I will be hit. Can I even set the camera storage to an external device? I can't be pulling over and transferring files even ten minutes, nor can I pull over every ten minutes for WiFi, if it exists at all. The seamless cloud integration is great, but don't let pride get in the way of convenience. A little slot cannot hurt but only help, that's my opinion.... It won't change the cloud use at all, and for those with my sort of complaint, of which I have heard many, it will no longer be valid.
Rebel 3.6

But truly, this is for software, so let's stick to the flick up icon to upload suggestion, though it will cost a lot more memory usage for nextbit servers given how much more usage it will get, I suppose it will help a lot with memory issues.
Jew
Rebel 2.8

The attachments I mention for usb and sd devices to hook up to your phone for easy transfer on the go are very small and is actually an ideal situation as they can be hidden very easily in case of a situation where censorship is an issue. This is something that is very common with the photographers that visit North Korea. You don't need a second device and no extra bulk, just a cord and a sd card/usb drive.